Monday, October 24, 2011

One Mom's Experiences with Artificial Colors

Artificial colors are an absolutely unnecessary scourge that are used to brighten processed foods and medicine solely for the purpose of appealing to our innate attraction to vivid hues. (Think about it: Which fruits do we instinctively pick from a tree? Bright and ripe/sweet, or dull and immature/tasteless?)

While some companies are transitioning away from the petroleum-based colorants (click here to read about Pepperidge Farm's move), the colors—which have been scientifically proven to cause Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)—are ubiquitous.
A reader, Jennifer, just left a comment on a post, "Artificial Colors in Medicine," that I wrote almost two years ago. Could her experiences be affecting you and your family as well?
"My son and I have an intolerance to these artificial colors. I can tell you for a fact that they affect us. I myself was punching walls and would 'fly' off the handle over the smallest things. My son was having huge melt downs and flipping desks, throwing chairs, and biting himself. They said he had ADHD. I got him off all the artificial colors and he is now getting out of special education in school! I have to watch everything I put in our bodies, but also on! I have to buy him special crayons! I watch laundry soap and fabric softener, toothpaste, perfume, and lotions. They are putting them in everything! Buy organic, the more people that do the more big business will listen to what is trending and the stores will carry it."
Jennifer's last point is extremely important. For the betterment of society (yes, it's still possible!), it is imperative that those of us who understand these issues make our voices heard. Pepperidge Farm did not move away from artificial colors for altruistic purposes. The change was made because people spoke. And because a small percentage of people spoke, millions of kids whose parents don't know what an artificial color is are safer today because of it.

Unhappy to hear that nine of the 10 flavors of Kellogg's Nutri-Grain Cereal Bars contain artificial colors? Call Kellogg's at 1-800-962-1413 to voice your displeasure.

No comments: