Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Using Food Processors' Other Blades

Yes, food processors come with more than one blade! (Check a drawer or box in the closet.)

In addition to the standard "s-blade" (not my term), there are weapons (my term) for shredding and slicing (one's fingers). Kidding.


Seriously, the shredding blade is a great tool that can save a lot of time (in lieu of chopping by hand). I use it to shred red cabbage when making cole slaw. Occasionally, I also make a raw, shredded beet and carrot salad.


To make it, I peel
the beets and carrots and run them through the machine. I remove them to a bowl, mix them together, add a little parsley (chopped by hand), unrefined sea salt, fresh ground pepper and fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. If I want a little creaminess, I add some yogurt (whole fat!) and/or Dijon mustard.

Covered in an air-tight container, this salad will stay in the refrigerator for close to a week, especially if an acid (i.e. lemon juice, apple cider vinegar) is added.

3 comments:

Stuff I Do said...

We have been looking into getting a processor. We want one that will do veggies and food but at the same time make smoothies like a blender. We don't want two things on the counter.
Any ideas?

Chef Rob said...

Several of the appliance manufacturers make food processor/blender combos now. I have separate food processor and blender, so I can't give any advice as to which to buy.

CJC said...

What brand/model are the pictured blades for? I picked up the slicing and shredding blades for 13 cents hoping they'd fit my food processor (they don't). I'd like to give them to someone who could use them. They are identical to your photo.