Wednesday, March 13, 2013

An Impromptu Lunch: No Recipe, but Lots of Flavor

Look, ma, no recipes!

I needed a quick lunch on Monday while I was cooking for a lecture/buffet I gave yesterday. I looked in my refrigerator, the seas parted and I saw the random food items that became my meal: half a raw onion, eggplant scraps from the eggplant rollatini I recently made, kale, quinoa and a jar of tomato paste.


I started by heating some olive oil in a sauté pan and chopping the onion. I threw the onion and eggplant (cut into cube-like pieces) into the pan and cooked until soft. (Eggplant is thirsty, so I had to add more oil.) 


When the veggies started to soften, I added tomato paste that I had diluted with some water. I cooked the mixture for about 10 minutes, until it thickened nicely. I added the kale with about three minutes left in that cooking time.
 

I seasoned with unrefined sea salt, fresh ground pepper and fresh lemon juice and served it over quinoa with a chunk of whole wheat sourdough bread on the side.

Quick, easy, delicious, nutritious and no recipes!

No comments: