Monday, August 17, 2009

Bronson Arroyo Speaks the Truth About Drugs and Fast Food

USA Today ran a story last Thursday in which Cincinnati Reds pitcher Bronson Arroyo openly discussed drug and supplement usage in baseball, including his own. Some of Arroyo’s quotes were striking for their honesty.

On his current use of supplements: "I have a lot of guys in [the locker room] who think I'm out of [my] mind . . . I take 10 to 12 different things a day, and on the days I pitch, there's four more things.”

On his previous use of androstenedione, which the body converts into testosterone and is now banned by Major League Baseball: “I didn't think twice about it. I took androstenedione the same way I took my multivitamins. [I]t made me feel unbelievable. I felt like a monster."


On the hypocrisy of the media and public, who, Arroyo believes, care more about the breaking of records than players’ well-being: “At the end of the day, you think anybody really [cares] whether Manny Ramirez's kidneys fail and he dies at 50?”


However, by far my favorite Arroyo statement was the following, which completely caught me off guard but made me a huge Bronson Arroyo fan. I should try to get him to endorse The Delicious Truth.


On what we are feeding our kids: "You think this country really cares about what ballplayers put in their bodies? If we really care, why are we pumping Coca-Cola in every kid's mouth, and McDonald's, and Burger King and KFC? That [stuff] is killing people.”

4 comments:

lucinda said...

so true! Every time i check out at the grocery store the clerk asks me what i am cooking since i have no pre-made food in my cart!
Fast food and tv dinners seem to have become a staple in the US. I think in my office there are maybe 3 people who actually MAKE a meal...and the ones who constantly feed their children fast food or convenience food is amazing to me....

Anonymous said...

Great post. You should def reach out to him.

Artesia Springs said...

If you are looking for home & office bottled water in San Antonio then Artesia springs is the end destination for you which provides purified bottled water. For more details please visit our website http://www.artesiasprings.com or call us at (210) 637-5554

Jatin Sethi said...

overcome drug addiction
quotes about drug addicts