Friday, August 28, 2009

Lemon Cucumbers

In addition to the popular vegetables (carrots, tomatoes, radishes, lettuces, etc.) that I grow every year in my garden, I always try to plant several varieties of vegetables that are less common.

This summer, for example, I am growing lemon cucumbers (photo, right). They are a little smaller than a tennis ball and develop a yellow color when ripe. I usually eat them raw, and I love their clean, refreshing flavor, which is slightly citrusy.


I’ve never seen lemon cucumbers for sale in food stores, but they can be found at farmers’ markets.

The next time I cut a lemon cuke open (probably sometime today), I have to remember to scoop out some seeds, which I’ll dry and use for next summer’s planting.

2 comments:

Orsi said...

Wow, this looks delicious! And refreshing.

How are your tomatoes doing? Did they become victims of the blight?

Chef Rob said...

Yes, they are very refreshing!

The good news is that the blight didn't hit my tomatoes. The bad news is that tomato output this year was terrible. The ton of rain in June followed by limited sun really hurt. The few tomatoes we have had haven't been as flavorful as usual.

The peas, cukes, string beans, radishes, carrots, lettuces and dark greens have been superb, though. And the garlic is so good.