Thursday, July 5, 2012

My Non-Toxic (I Hope) Personal Hygiene/Health Care Products

Following Monday's post ("Natural Personal Health Care Products Multiply"), a reader asked me for a list of the personal hygiene products I use. This may be a little too much information for some of you, but others may find it helpful to see the number of companies making quality items and also to get suggestions on specific products.

How did I come to choose the products I use? I try to avoid ingredients/chemicals that are possible endocrine disruptors and/or carcinogenic. So, no parabens, pthalates, aluminums, artificial colors, artificial fragrances, etc. The Environmental Working Group's (EWG) Skin Deep database is a useful tool when researching products.

Also, the products have to work. It took me three or four deodorants to find one that doesn't find me smelling—after 20 minutes—like a puppy's arse. Seriously, differently scented products of the same brand can have varying results. Remember, personal hygiene products are very . . . personal.

So . . . here's the very personal list of Rob's personal hygiene products. (I am definitely running the risk of taking a lot of flak for posting this, but for those of you who doubt my altruistic leanings, pafooey! Just don't send a link to this post to my father-in-law.)

Toothpaste: Nature's Gate Cool Mint Gel Toothpaste
Deodorant: Jason Calming Lavender Deodorant Stick
Soap (bar): Sappho Hill Natural (Fragrance-Free) Soap
Soap (liquid): Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Unscented Liquid Soap (diluted with water)
Shaving Gel: Dr. Bronner's Baby Unscented Shaving Gel
Shampoo: Burt's Bees More Moisture Baobab Shampoo
Conditioner: Burt's Bees More Moisture Baobab Conditioner
Hair Gel (hey, I gotta look good!): Burt's Bees Avocado Butter Pre-Shampoo Hair Treatment
Face Cleanser: Beauty Without Cruelty Herbal Cream Facial Cleanser
Face Moisturizer: Indian Meadow Herbals Wild Blueberry Lotion for Sensitive Skin
Sunscreen: Nature's Gate Mineral Sport Broad Spectrum SPF 20 Sunscreen

No comments: