Monday, February 22, 2010

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand's Response to Islam Siddiqui

In October, I wrote about President Obama’s nomination of Islam Siddiqui, a former lobbyist for the pesticide industry, to an important government post. An outpouring of grassroots protest has helped delay (and hopefully derail) his Senate confirmation.

Here is the response I just received from one of my senators after I sent her a simple form email available online from the Pesticide Action Network.

Dear Mr. Endelman,

Thank you for writing to me with regard to the nomination of Islam Siddiqui as Chief Agricultural Negotiator in the Office of U.S. Trade Representative. I share some of the concerns raised about Mr. Siddiqui's record as a lobbyist for the pesticide industry, along with some of his comments. If confirmed, Mr. Siddiqui would be responsible for negotiating agreements related to a range of international agricultural topics, including regulatory issues.

I am working in the United States Senate to promote local, sustainable agricultural development in New York and internationally, and I have been troubled by some of the past comments that Mr. Siddiqui has made on these issues. I look forward to the opportunity for the Senate Commerce Committee to hold a thorough confirmation hearing on this nomination, and I will continue to study Mr. Siddiqui's record before I cast my vote on the Senate floor.

Thank you again for writing to express your concerns, and I hope that you keep in touch with my office regarding future legislation and concerns you may have. For more information on this and other important issues, please visit my website at http://gillibrand.senate.gov and sign up for my e-newsletter.

Sincerely yours,


Kirsten Gillibrand

United States Senator

1 comment:

Brian M said...

Keeping her options open like any skillful politician. I see nothing to be optimistic about in her response. She is certainly speaking to your concerns, but never implies that those are dealbreakers for her affirmative vote.