Tuesday, September 7, 2010

How to Make Salsa Verde

My friend Peter is growing tomatillos and has more than he’ll ever need. He let me pick some, and I used them to make a salsa verde, which became part of last night’s chicken enchilada dinner.

In the spirit of sharing, here’s how I (very easily) made the salsa verde:

I chopped 10 small tomatillos (3/4 lb.), two scallions, one clove of garlic, one small jalapeño pepper and some parsley and put everything into a food processor with some lime juice and salt. I processed, but the mixture was still a little coarse, so I added just enough water to achieve a thinner consistency. I tasted, added some more salt and lime juice, and mixed again.

The process took about five minutes and follows the same technique I’ve used in the past two weeks to make hummus, a roasted red pepper and feta dip and a white bean and rosemary spread.

No comments: