Thursday, July 7, 2011

Blueberry Week Continues: How to Make a Blueberry Crisp

A third recipe I made using my bevy of blueberries was a blueberry crisp.

Just like the jam and sorbet I discussed earlier this week, this easy recipe can work with a variety of fruits
(i.e. berries, peaches, plums, apricots, apples, pears) as they come to market over the course of the summer and fall.

To make the fruit filling, I started by buttering an 8-inch square oven-proof glass dish. I then added enough blueberries (between one and two pints) to fill the dish. I squeezed in the juice of half a lemon, plus added 1 tablespoon of white sugar and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. I mixed everything together.


For the toppin
g, I mixed 1 cup white whole wheat flour, ½ cup white sugar, ½ cup brown sugar, 1 cup oats and ½ teaspoon unrefined sea salt in a bowl. I then added 1 stick of slightly softened Smjör butter cut into smaller cubes.

Next cam
e the only possibly difficult part: combining the butter and dry ingredients into a streusel-like topping. I used my fingertips to clump together the two until no dry ingredients were still powdery. The butter and dry ingredients were now one, stuck together in a moist mixture.

I spread this mixture evenly over the filling and baked the crisp in a 375 degree oven until the fruit started to bubble and the topping turned golden brown (about 40 minutes). I like it a little cold, but feel free to serve warm or at room temperature.

1 comment:

Eytan Seidman said...

Rob,
Thanks for sharing! We are going to give this a try.

Eytan