Monday, November 5, 2012

My Version of Rice and Beans (and Vegetables)

My lunch today (I'm just wiping the remnants off my shirt) was my version of rice and beans. 

I cooked some dried kidney beans this morning (easier than you think; cooking time was about 90 minutes, almost all unattended) and used the beans and the cooking liquid (water flavored with bean flotsam and jetsam) as the foundation for the dish.


To this soupy mixture I added already-cooked brown rice. While I was heating this, I chopped some carrots, turnips and parsley and shredded some Kerrygold cheddar cheese. I added these to the pot, along with unrefined sea salt, fresh ground pepper, ground cumin, homemade hot sauce and fresh lemon juice. I had half an avocado in the fridge, so I added that as well.


My version was vegetarian, but next time I make it I'll add some bacon or chorizo, which will make it more traditional.

No comments: