Thursday, October 28, 2010

Why Does Colored Plastic Wrap Exist?

I just came across a product that, I believe, has no reason to exist. I understand the concepts of market share, shelf space and brand recognition, but what legitimate purpose does colored plastic wrap serve?

I have to do a little research, but my guess is that the colors derive from petroleum-based colorants.
Isn't it logical to think that the synthetics in the colors eventually find their way into our water supply after breaking down in landfills?

These colored wraps remind me of the more popular printed paper towels I wrote about last year:

"Can someone give one good reason why we need petroleum-based dyes on paper towels? Talk about waste for no reason! If we are relying on printed paper towels for kitchen beautification, we have larger interior design issues. One national brand’s web site advertises that 'with a whole range of designer prints, cleaning is now stylish.' Whatever."

1 comment:

whitefarmer said...

Here is my comment,
People feel the need for decoration on their cleaning equipment since they aren't trying to eradicate all existence. Just trying to clean up a mess and would like to put something nice in its place. So a decorated towel helps them visualize something nice while they clean since when the towels sit there the images are seen and then grabbed you remember the image of serenity portrayed by that pictographic representation. I suggest a sterile box for the towels that is decorated and then the towels will automatically look nice. But the thought is that it isn't much ink though and often soybased ink anyway.